WASHINGTON, DC – The Natural Products Association (NPA) today rejected a bill proposed in the Illinois state legislature that would prohibit the sale of CBD products that do not meet certain requirements set by the Illinois Department of Agriculture. NPA supports federal guidelines that would set a safe level of CBD consumption instead of a patchwork of state-level regulations.
A hearing where NPA was scheduled to testify in the Illinois House Human Services Committee was cancelled today at the last minute.
“While we appreciate the Committee’s attention to this important issue, we believe that clear federal guidelines and safety standards are far superior to a patchwork of state-level rules. Setting a safe level of consumption for CBD products at the federal level is the best way to move forward with this promising new product while protecting consumers,” said Kyle Turk, Deputy Director for Government Affairs at NPA.
The Natural Products Association (NPA) recently worked with lawmakers in New Jersey to pass a resolution urging Congress to set a safe level and is continuing to work with the U.S. Congress to do so. Last year, the U.S. House of Representatives passed legislation that would appropriate $100,000 for the FDA to perform a Health Hazard Evaluation (HHE) and set a safe level of CBD for consumers to use each day. The process would follow the same precedent as red yeast rice, which allows a natural product to contain a level of a drug ingredient that the FDA has determined to be safe. With the exception of Epidiolex, all CBD products in the U.S. are considered illegal by the federal government.
Recent NPA Actions on CBD:
- NPA led a legislative effort to secure language in the FY 2020 House Agriculture Appropriations bill to appropriate $100,000 for the FDA to perform an HHE and is leading a grassroots effort urging the Senate to act.
- On Oct. 17, 2019, NPA published a poll that shows 70 percent of registered voters believe FDA should have already established safety standards for CBD products.
- On May 31, 2019, NPA testified at the FDA’s first public hearing on CBD.
- On March 14, 2019, NPA submitted official comments to the FDA concerning approaches to CBD regulation that will also help facilitate the discussion.
- On October 24, 2018, NPA sent a letter to FDA asking for regulatory leadership on CBD products.
# # #
Natural Products Association
The Natural Products Association (NPA) is the trade association representing the entire natural products industry. We advocate for our members who supply, manufacture and sell natural ingredients or products for consumers. The Natural Products Association promotes good manufacturing practices as part of the growth and success of the industry. Founded in 1936, NPA represents over 1,000 members accounting for more than 10,000 locations of retailers, manufacturers, wholesalers and distributors of natural products, including foods, dietary supplements, and health/beauty aids. Visit www.npanational.org