Joins Coalition for Accurate Product Labels in Support of Bipartisan Legislation
WASHINGTON – As part of ongoing efforts to ensure that consumers have access to accurate and meaningful information about the nutritional supplements and natural products they use each and every day, the Natural Products Association (NPA) announced its support for the Accurate Labels Act (ALA). The ALA would establish a federal standard for labeling and ingredient disclosure requirements that is risk-based and substantiated by sound science.
“Consumers have a right to know what is in the products they use each and every day, especially when it comes to making decisions about products that support their health. Congress must act to protect consumers and put an end to expensive lawsuits and unnecessary new regulatory burdens that are difficult for small businesses to manage,” said Daniel Fabricant, Ph.D., President and CEO of NPA.
NPA joined the Coalition for Accurate Product Labels (CAPL) (www.accuratelabels.com) in support of ALA. The ALA, introduced by Representatives Kurt Schrader (D-OR) and Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) will amend the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act to:
- Ensure consumers have access to clear, accurate and meaningful product labels;
- Establish science-based criteria for state and local labeling requirements to ensure consistent, high-quality consumer information;
- Allow state-mandated product information to be provided through smartphone-enabled “smart labels” and on websites;
- Ensure that covered product information is risk-based; and
- Will leave unchanged current federal laws related to allergens, nutrition facts and medicines.
# # #
Natural Products Association
The Natural Products Association (NPA) is the trade association representing the entire natural products industry. We advocate for our members who supply, manufacture and sell natural ingredients or products for consumers. The Natural Products Association promotes good manufacturing practices as part of the growth and success of the industry. Founded in 1936, NPA represents over 700 members accounting for more than 10,000 locations of retailers, manufacturers, wholesalers and distributors of natural products, including foods, dietary supplements, and health/beauty aids. Visit www.npanational.org and follow NPA on Twitter and Instagram @NPAnational and LinkedIn.